2022-08 Status Update
on 2022-09-01 in status-update
| alpine | guixrus |
I’ve crafted neovim configuration with minimal plugins. Previously, I used packer.nvim (neovim package manager) before. This time, I used alpine as neovim package manager. I packaged Comment.nvim, and LuaSnip, and friendly-snippets, to use them in my setup.
guixrus has about 1000 packages now, and the lint stage emits numerous lint warnings that are better handled before the commits are created. The log has gotten so large, that no one reads it. Disabling it will save compute power. So I removed the lint task and proposed moving its function to a pre-commit hook.
Months ago, I created doug for guixrus. At that time, guixrus’ website was built using jinja templates which needed channel metadata in json format. The website since moved to using home-brew guile program which made doug no longer needed. So I cleaned up guixrus’ website’s dependencies and build tasks.
- ci: remove lint task
- testing/nvim-comment.nvim: new aport
- testing/nvim-luasnip: new aport
- testing/friendly-snippets: new aport
- [PATCH website] remove no-longer-needed dependencies
doug was created to allow guixrus build its website using jinja. As the project is not needed anymore, I am archiving it.
I was reading about tree-sitter
and configuring it for neovim. I wanted to know more about it. So I decided to
write a grammar for the
/etc/network/interfaces file. Since I use
ifupdown-ng, I went with its
dialect. While working on the project, I learned about operator precedence and
associativity, in the context of disambiguating the grammar. The grammar is
I contribute to both guix and alpine and I wanted to bring them together
somehow. I tried building guix (package manager) from source for
x86_64-unknown-linux-musl but it required a lot of patching. guix is a
self-contained package manager. So to work-around aforementioned problem, I
packaged pre-built binary version of guix and hosted it as a package offered by
alguix is an alpine package repository I host, that provides guix packages that cannot be upstreamed. Note that this project will remain experimental.
Continuing my experiments with s6, I’ve started working on custom alpine VM image with s6. It will have s6-linux-init as /sbin/init (instead of busybox init), and s6-rc as service manager (instead of OpenRC).
I have started committing more time in crafting my dotfiles. More time but less complexity. Feel free to remix it with your setup.
I rotated my GPG and SSH keys this month. Older keys will still work for about a year. I have moved away from using rsa (4096) keys in favor of ed25519. You can find my latest public keys here or you can locate them with gnupg:
gpg --locate-keys email@example.com
I’ve been getting excessive requests to my self-hosted server from a couple of countries (the usual ones). I initially hardened the openssh server configuration, but soon replaced it with tinyssh after I started using ed25519 keys everywhere.
So far, I’ve been able to setup zitadel and nextcloud (with cert-manager and traefik) for Azad Maidan. The project is in its infancy, but you can explore it here. I intend to get v0.1 out before October.
If you were a regular reader of this blog, you’d see that my contributions to guix has decreased gradually over past few months. I’ve been using alpine for a while now. I love the fact that upstreaming packages to alpine doesn’t take weeks, if not months. Packaging software for alpine is quite easy as well. Try it in a VM/container, if you haven’t already. It’s already great for servers and raspberry pi and it’s getting better for desktops.
Until next post. Peace.
I welcome your feedback or constructive criticism to ~firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit the public archive.